A PYRRHIC VICTORY
Remember Ben Johnson? He was the bloke who won Olympic Gold in 100M sprint creating World Record only to be discredited after failing the dope test. Doping in sports has been rampant since last several years.
Drugs are taken with different motives. It could be something that causes mood elevation / euphoria thereby enhancing performance. But the worst form of doping is the one that involves Anabolic Steroids. Anabolic steroids increase muscle mass and help one endure extreme physical effort. Athletes who win laurels may either get away with it or get caught and are disgraced. But every one who indulges in steroids will suffer the ill effects of the drug as long as they live. Some of the ill effects are:
– Infertility and impotence
– Increased blood pressure and its complications.
– Diabetes and its complications.
– Lowered body resistance that can result in vulnerability to infection.
– Increased facial hair in women besides menstrual disorders.
– Psychological problems such as depression and psychosis
King Pyrrhus of Epirus defeated the Romans at Asculum in 279 B.C. but sustained heavy losses. Similarly, fame and money at the cost of one’s health is just that — a Pyrrhic victory for the athletes.